08 November 2008

Hana Hegerova- (the Czech Edith Piaf) - the first of a series of attempted translations


You Have Where To Go (Pack It Up)

So enough now of your magic- ubiquitous
like dog's wine*.
My juices he would keep sucking, my sun
keep taking-

So that charm of yours,
please pack it up.

What competence, yours, and what a dear host you are-
and I've had enough- so pack it up. So bye, sweetheart.
You have where to go, -
you'll even make of it a career, so pack it up.

You know how to live well, in dreams, desire and feeling.
A few pretty things, then love is but habit,
like buttoning a shirt, and it's a wonder...
But how did you tap into it? What a man!
So go with god, I'm closing up shop, and your Old Spice...
I'll air out.

You know it so well, yes-
your pretty head raised with pride,
what was before isn't, no, but you have to return the key.
Be healthy about it, save yourself now-
with me you're just wasting your time;
I have your school at least - so thanks.

And bye, sweetheart- you have somewhere to go-
and surely, you'll even make a career out of it...


* a type of vine


originally written by Petr Hupka
live version link here

No comments: